- How to use the Search Results page
- How to use the Advanced Search page
- How to use the Record Display page
- How to use the My Cart page
- How to use the Library Contacts page
The search results page displays once you have performed a quick or advanced search listing the results. The information on this screen may include the author, publishing information, physical description, format, and list of colleges who carry the item. Also from this page you can refine or broaden your search, perform a new search or add your search results to your cart for printing and citations.
[Do a quick search]
To do a quick search enter a keyword into the search box and click search
[Do an advanced search]
To do an advanced search click on the link to the advanced search page
[Sorting your results]
To sort your search results, choose a sort criterion on the right side of the Search Results screen and click the criterion Relevancy, Title or Date.
[Sorting your results by date]
When you choose to sort your results by date the arrow beside 'Date' indicates the order. Arrow pointing down is newest to oldest results. Arrow pointing up is oldest to newest results. The default is set at newest to oldest results.
[Navigating your results]
When your search results include more than 10 results (or your chosen number of results per page), navigation links to other pages of results that appear as hyperlinked numbers and as "First," "Last," "Next," and "Previous" links on the top and bottom of the Search Results screen. Click these links to go to the Previous or Next page of results or to jump to a numbered page of results. Each page of results contains 10 entries by default.
[Refining your search]
The list of search facets on the left side of the Search Results screen can help you refine your search. These search facets are hyperlinks that let you narrow, or filter, your search results according to different categories of information such as format, subject, date published, college location or language. The numbers next to each facet indicate the number of items in your search results that match that search facet.
To refine your search, click on a search facet. Your results list will be refined to include only those items in both your original search results AND the search facet categories you selected.
[Broadening your search]
The Current Search section, in the upper right corner of the Search Results screen shows your search terms. If you have used additional search terms, or if you have applied search filters, a small X button will appear next to each search parameter you used.
To broaden your search, remove a search term by clicking the X button next to it. A new search is performed that includes all of your search terms except for the search term you removed.
[Performing a new search]
To perform a new search, type your search term(s) into the Search box at the top of the Search Results screen and click the Search button. This default keyword search will perform a search of all of the indexed fields of the items. Note that not every word of every item record is searchable. If you do not succeed with your first search, try a new search term.
[Retaining search facets for a new search term]
To retain search facets when you want to use a new search term just check off 'Retain' near the search box.
[Viewing more information about an item]
To view more information about an item and its availability, click on your 'Available at' college link which will bring you to your college catalogue of choice to see the holdings.
[To view the full MARC record]
You can also view the full marc record by selecting the title and clicking on the Show Marc Record button on the Record Display Page.
[Adding items to the Cart]
To add items to the Cart:
Click on the Add to My Cart icon in the bottom right corner for every item from the results.
Your selection is stored in the 'My Cart' Page for the session. Your selections cannot be saved and will erase after leaving the session.
[Printing a list of Results]
To print a list of your results compile them in your MyCart and click either the green leaf icon for a more environmentally friendly use of paper print out or the printer icon for a regular print in the left corner.
The Advanced Search screen lets you . . .
- Search for terms using several categories, such as Author, Title, Subject, ISBN and ISSN;
- Select the nature of the search, e.g. to search for all or any of your search terms; and
- Filter your search results using one or more categories such as Location, Date Range, Language, Format.
- Using advanced search categories
- Using search filters
- Using wildcards
- Using Boolean searches
To perform an advanced search,
- Select which field you would like to search. Note that "Any Field" will NOT search fields with numbers.
- Choose the search syntax:
- has all of these words: returns results that contain every word you type in the following text box, regardless of whether the words appear together. Note: If you are searching for a control number, such as ISBN, you MUST use this search option, and you can search for ONLY ONE number.
- has this exact phrase: returns results that contain the words you type in the following text box as a phrase.
- has at least one of these words: returns results that contain at least one of the words you type in the following text box.
- has none of these words: returns results that do not contain any of the words you type in the following text box.
- Type your desired search term(s) in the search text box, and choose the category in which you would like to search:
- Examples: media, Atwood,
- Examples: Atwood, Margaret Atwood, Atwood, Margaret
- Examples: For Whom the Bell Tolls, bell tolls
- Examples: social media, computer, geopolitics
ISBN (International Standard Book Number)
- Examples: 0812971833, 978-0812971835
ISSN (International Standard Serial Number)
- Examples: 0024-0974, 02705060
Select one or more filters to narrow your search results (language, college location, format, date range)
You can use wildcards to search for an inexact phrase on the Advanced Search screen:
- * - Use to take the place of any number of characters. For example, a search for Bal* will return results for ball, balance, or Baltimore.
- ? - Use to take place of a single character. For example, a search for ba?l will return results for ballor bawl, but not barrel.
Please note that you cannot use wildcards in the Quick Search field.
You can also use Boolean searching such as:
- - Use ' ' for phrases ex: 'social media' if you want the two words to be searched when they appear as together as opposed to separately in a record.
- - Use AND if you want to search for two separate terms that must appear anywhere in a record. This is useful when you want to limit your search by complexity of subject. ex: social AND media.
- - Use OR if you want to search for two separate terms where either one can appear in a record. This is useful when there is variant spelling or vocabulary. ex: aging OR old, behavior OR behaviour
Clicking on a title on the Search Results screen displays the Record Display screen for that item. The information on this screen may include the author, publishing information, physical description, format and the list of colleges who carry the item. Below this information are options to show the marc record, get a citation or add the item to your cart.
[To preview a book using Google Preview]
If a book has a Google Preview icon below it's cover, click the icon. A small window will pop-up allowing you to scroll through and view pages of the scanned item.
[To search other items by that author or subject]
To perform a search for more items by the author or subject of the record being displayed, click the author's name or subject from the subject list. A Search Results screen is displayed with all of the library's works by that author.
[To view the records of the other search results]
To view the item details for other items in your search results, use the Back to Search Results button or use the Back button on your browser.
[To see full marc record]
[Viewing more information about an item]
To view more information about an item, click on the 'Available at' college link. This link will bring you to the college catalogue of your choice to see the available holdings.
[Adding an item to your Cart]
To create a list of items of note to go back to or to cite , click the Add to My Cart button. A notification message under the cart appears notifying you that the item has been added to your Cart.
The My Cart screen shows the items and item details you have added to your Cart.
[To create citations for information purposes only]
To create a citation for items in the Cart, click the 'Get Citation' button in the bottom right corner of every item on the list. This brings you to the Create Citation pop-up screen, which lets you choose a citation format (APA, MLA, AMA, and Chicago). The citation in the chosen format appears above. Note the citation may not be 100% accurate and are therefore for information purposes only.You are given the option to either email it to yourself or to create a Plain Text, Rich Text, Word or EndNote document to download and save.
[To remove an item from list]
To remove an item from the Cart, click the 'Remove from Cart' icon and refresh your cart to see the changes by clicking on the Refresh button.
The Library Contacts screen is a list of links to each of the 24 Ontario college libraries. Clicking on the link will take you to your college librarys’ website page offering information on interlibrary loan policies and how to get in contact with the appropriate staff regarding interlibrary loan of print materials from another college. This is useful when desired circulating print material is not available at your own college library but is available at another college library listed under location item details on the Search Results screen.